What is a FAM trip (Familiarization Trip)?
The goal of a Medical Tourism Familiarization Trip is to highlight the quality of care within a specific region. One of the main reasons for this type of trip is to introduce the region as a destination for medical tourism and to generate an interest from “buyers” to send patients to the hospitals and clinics visited on the tour. During your trip, you will visit hospitals and clinics, and also engage in tourism activities that a potential patient may enjoy. The trips are fully funded by the providers or government organizing the tour and so the delegation participating in the tour has no out of pocket costs.
Who is eligible to attend?
Medical Tourism Association™ Members Including:
- Insurance Companies
- Media/Press – upon request and subject to approval by MTA
How are the Locations Chosen?
We base our decision for locations for FAM trips based upon the number of MTA members located in the region and the maturity of the development of the medical tourism initiative there. The sponsoring group or “host” has the right to approve or reject the selection of the participants based upon the region's particular business objectives. MTA typically requires one hospital on the tour to be an MTA member in order to organize the trip.
2009 FAM Trips
- El Salvador
- Medellin, Colombia
- Chihuahua, Mexico
Hospital and Clinic Site Tours
- Highlighting and showcasing your country or destination as “One of the top quality healthcare destinations in the world and as a leader in medical tourism and wellness.”
- Creating new relationships with healthcare buyers.
- Throughout the on-site tours, attendees will see advanced equipment and technology offered by hospitals and clinics.
- Attendees have the opportunity to meet the Physicians & their staff and speak with them one on one about sending patients to their hospital
Tourism and Country Features
- It is important to showcase not only the high quality of healthcare in your destination, but also the history, culture and natural resources it has to offer patients and their companions, which sets it apart as a top tourism destination.
- The involvement, participation and support of the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the U.S. Embassy reinforce the commitment of the country as a top medical tourism destination. It represents credibility, accountability and a commitment to quality.
*MTA Organization Fee includes one article written by a member of the Medical Tourism Magazine Editorial Department covering the experience and highlights of the FAM Trip.
- Presentations and Tours must be given in English
- Accredited or in the process of accreditation hospitals and clinics that will be visited on the tour
- FAM Trip budget submitted to MTA no later than 3 months prior to the proposed FAM tour dates
- FAM Trip Agenda submitted to MTA no later than 3 months prior to the proposed FAM tour dates
Medical Tourism Association™ assists in FAM trip logistics that include but are not limited to the following:
- Invitations to MTA Members
- Flight Coordination
- Travel information & agenda supplied to all attendees prior to the trip
- Liaison between FAM trip attendees and hosting country for immediate questions or concerns pre and post trip
For more information on FAM trips, please contact: info@MedicalTourismAssociation.com.